Sunday 19 July 2009

Swine 'flu


Well wouldn’t you know it, I’ve only gone and gotten feckin’ swine ‘flu! It’s them yanks comin’ over here on their family tracing trips who brought it over. As a result, Derby training has been worse then sparse. I am losing weight, which is the good news, but I think I am dissolving hard-won muscle. Then again, only five more kilos to loose!

I did manage a good six hours in the saddle at the weekend before the symptoms took hold, lots of working on the passage and turn on haunches on my friend’s 17hh Danish Warmblood. Alas my ride on a Kerry bog pony was somewhat less successful.

Upon mounting my tough, fit, workmanlike and enthusiastic (and yes, little at 12hh) horse who is intelligent enough to eat grass, hay, drink water and get comfortable when it is not working, well it’s little legs went a bit sideways….I confess, it buckled and lay down beneath me. I really don’t see this as much of an obstacle though as I’m sure that once I loose that last 5kilos it should be no problem for one to gallop 40kms with me and 10kgs of stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment